This Decree-Law establishes important measures governing the use of shared solutions within the information and communications technology (ICT) in public administration, namely:
- The requirement for a preliminary examination of the possibility of acquisition of ICT goods and services with services or government agencies (data centers and services Cloud shared between ministries), allowing the use of existing solutions, promoting the profitability of the investments made and control of public expenditure;
- Rationalization of communications by opting for solutions with centralized and comprehensive management, enhancing free voice communications between government departments and agencies;
- The interconnection of networks and services of general government bodies through the implementation and connection of data communications to a point of redundant peering, avoiding costs of overlapping links between the various agencies.
These are highly important to the pursuit of the objectives set out in the Global Strategic Plan for the Rationalization and Cost Reduction with the Information and Communication Technologies in public administration (PGETIC), in force since 2012 (Resolution of the Cabinet No 12/2012 of 7 February).
This global plan aims, through 25 measures structured in five areas, improve the efficiency of internal processes of public administration, improving the quality of services provided to citizens and companies and significant savings resulting from the preference for common ICT solutions to the various services and public administration bodies, in particular by streamlining technology infrastructure and communications assets.
In the context of the rationalization measures of data centers and Cloud Computing in public administration (measures 8:18), a strategy for the adoption of more flexible and transparent solutions, better managed and less expensive was defined by increasing levels of safety and ICT resource efficiency and at the same time allows to optimize the integration and normalization of data and applications.
For the implementation of the rationalization strategy of data centers it has become essential to know the starting point through an exhaustive survey of these infrastructures of various ministries in order to be able to define lines of action for the different objectives envisaged in the measures 8:18.
The study, promoted by the AMA, IP, allowed:
- Inventory installed, occupied and available capacity in the central and local government data centers, owned by the state or contracted from the private sector;
- Technically characterize each data center;
- Carry out comparative studies between multiple data centers for their ability, costs and efficiency levels (second reference benchmarks);
- Studying evolution scenarios in the medium and long term, for defining a strategy that addresses the future needs of public administration.
In addition, the information collected in this study provided the basis of the first ICT services to be considered in the operational network service catalog of shared services for information and communication technologies in public administration, systematizing already the space rental services (Housing) and accommodation servers (Hosting) in data centers.
Based on this study, the government has the information on the capacity already available in a number of data centers to respond to requests for services or public administration bodies, thus promoting the optimization and sharing of ICT infrastructure in this area.
More information available at tic.gov.pt