- Employees covered by a social security scheme, not assets, pensioners and their respective families;
- Beneficiaries of public health subsystems;
- Beneficiaries of private health subsystems;
- Users of the national health service, if there is no link to the Social Security or a subsystem of public or private health.
The renewal of the EHIC should be made before the expiry date stated on the card, which is generally three years.
»Documents and requirements:
Note: The renewal of the EHIC should be made following the procedures defined for the original application.
If the application for renewal of the EHIC is made before the expiry of the period of validity must indicate the full card number whose validity is about to expire.
Through the Internet:
- Digital certificate authentication - Citizen Card ; Or
- User registration on the website of Social Security .
You have no costs.
The European Health Insurance Card of (EHIC) allows an insured or person covered by a social protection system of one of the Member States of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland, obtain from public care providers assistance medical that your health need during their temporary stay in any of those States.
It is a unique model card, common to all the space of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland, free and designed to simplify the identification of the holder and the institution that is financially responsible for the costs of health care that this might need it.
The EHIC is a nominative and individual card, so, each beneficial owner and family who moves abroad, should have its own.
Health care is provided in the same way that the beneficiaries of the social security system of the country where they are, which means that such care can not be free and which may trigger the payment of user fees or non-refundable contributions.
The EHIC does not cover situations in which the insured person travels to another State in order to receive treatment médico.Para more information, see the website of the Social Security .